Based in Australia. Group Managing Director and joint founder of Ambition.
1. What is the biggest change you have seen in the recruitment industry since you joined it ?
Bearing in mind that I began in January 1983 the biggest change for me is very definitely technology. This includes such things as recruitment data bases on the screen not candidate details written on cards in plastic boxes , mobile phones making people accessible anytime of the day or night , email ensuring that speed of response is critical, the web to attract and communicate with clients and candidates.
2. What is the biggest lesson you have learned while trading through the current recession ?
Stay positive, persistent and provide your clients and candidates with as much market information you can.
3. What do you most love about your job ?
Nearly 30 years on I still enjoy the variety and challenges that each day and each week bring with clients candidates and colleagues.
4. What prediction would you make about the industry over the next 5 years ?
As an industry we have to move on from just providing cv's - our clients and candidates are learning to find each other without us through social media and other forms of technology-what they need us for is to provide them is the expert advice about selection, negotiation, remuneration, career options etc and this will inevitably lead to different pricing structures.
5. Your job must bring many pressures. What is your best tip for dealing with stress ?
Exercise, Alcohol, Family, Watching sport ..........not necessarily in that order !
< back to Interviews & Articles overview